At Guarantee Restoration Services, we are the leading property damage restoration company along the Gulf Coast. Not only does our team provide quick response and solutions to restore a business after fire, water, or wind damage, but also provides mold and biohazard remediation services. It important to always have mold awareness, or being mindful of the potential of its presence and the risk associated with it.
Most often, mold occurs in older commercial buildings or homes. It is also sometimes quite hard to detect, because you do not have to see if for it to be there. Many people grew up with the smell and sometimes don’t know what it is or think to do anything about it.
It can grow anywhere where there is moisture or where the sun does not reach, like leaks in roofs, windows or pipes. Mold can also grow on cardboard, paper, ceiling tiles and wood, among many other surfaces. It is most often located in crawl spaces and basements, where dampness and humidity are very common.
6 Signs You May Have a Mold Problem:
There are some common indicators that you may have a mold issue.
- Visible mold growth or spots
- Persistent musty, unpleasant or earthy odor
- Presence of moisture
- Abnormal or more regular allergic reactions or attacks
- Increased utility bills
- Pests entering the crawlspace
Mold Awareness: Health Risks Associated with Mold
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, if you see or smell mold, it should be removed as quickly as possible. If not, there are health risks that arise. Mold causes sore throats, couching, stuffy noses, skin rash and burning eyes. Individuals that suffer with allergies or asthma may be especially susceptible to severe reactions or respiratory infections if exposed. In addition, persons with chronic lung disease or immune system deficiencies may get infections from prolonged mold exposure.
Mold Awareness: At-Home or Business Preventative Measures
Before it gets to the point of health issues, there are some regular maintenance steps you can take to prevent mold growth inside and outside of your house or business.
- Controlling humidity levels, keeping them below 60%, and checking them multiple times per day.
- Cleaning bathroom and kitchen surfaces on a weekly basis.
- Keeping air-conditioning drip pans and drain lines clean.
- Methodically cleaning and drying after flooding or water damage occurs (within 24-48 hours).
- During more humid months, use an air conditioner or dehumidifier.
- Ventilating shower, laundry and cooking areas.
- Adding mold inhibitors to paints before painting interiors and exteriors.
- If possible, do not use carpets in bathrooms, basements or other moisture-prone areas.
- Quickly fixing leaky roofs, windows and pipes.
- Cleaning gutters regularly.
- Moving sprinklers and directing water flow away from your home or business.
- Where applicable in certain regions, installing a sump pump may be helpful.
The GRS Way
However and unfortunately, mold infestations can be overwhelming and they do happen despite your best preventative measures and mold awareness. It is often much bigger than cleaning a spot you found on your wall or ceiling.
Guarantee Restoration Services understands that is important to ensure a safe working environment for your employees or for your family at home. Our mold remediation specialists utilize the latest mold removal processes. These can be broken down into 4 basic steps:
- Building a containment.
- Reducing and/or eliminating moisture levels to stop additional mold growth.
- Removing materials that have mold and fungi growth.
- Cleaning, disinfecting and rebuilding the affected area if necessary.
If you have mold problem that is beyond your capabilities, our team of professionals is always ready to respond. That’s why 24/7 is not just a number, it’s a GUARANTEE. Contact us today at 1-800-349-HELP (4357) or email email@example.com. You can also visit our website at www.guaranteerestoration.com.