At Guarantee Restoration, we value safety. It’s our number one priority! This holiday season, stay safe by following these important holiday safety tips! Disaster always strikes when you least expect it to, and we’re hoping these tips keep you out of the danger zone!

Christmas Trees

Fresh trees are the best trees. A tree that is too dry can easily catch fire. Trim at least one inch from the bottom of the tree; this will increase the tree’s ability to absorb water. Live trees need a lot of water so check the water level and refill often!

Dry? Dead? Dispose. Once your tree becomes dry, or the needles start to fall off in large quantities, dispose of the tree. Never burn old trees or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove. Instead, take it to a recycling center or have it removed by a community pick-up service.

Fake it til you make it. If you buy an artificial tree, make sure that it is made of fire-resistant material.

Decorations and Lights

It’s electric! Do not overload electrical sockets by plugging in too many cords into a single outlet. Remember to unplug your holiday lights when no one is home or when everyone goes to sleep. Be sure to check older lights for frayed edges or bare spots and throw out any damaged cords.

Indoor lights are for the indoors. Never use indoor lights outside. These lights are not made to withstand the outdoor elements and if they get wet, they can cause an electric shock. Remove outdoor lighting as soon as the season is over. Even specially created outdoor decorations are not designed to withstand the prolonged exposure.

Wrapping paper is for the trash. Never burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. This may release fire-starting embers or produce a build-up of dangerous chemical fumes in the home.

Entertaining

Smoking hot. If you entertain guests who smoke, provide ashtrays and check for cigarette butts in upholstered furniture before going to bed. Cigarette fires are a leading cause of fire fatalities in the homes.

Fear the flame. Do not leave your stove unattended when cooking. In the excitement of entertaining, it is easy to forget something on the stove and leave it to burn, causing a potential fire hazard.

Children and Pets

Watch the breakables. Place all ornaments and candles out of reach of small children and pets. Small or breakable ornaments can be easily knocked down, which can result in cuts or choking. Curious children and playful pets can topple a tree in seconds causing serious injury.

Beware of toxic decorations. Mistletoe and holly berries may be poisonous if more than a few are swallowed. Old tinsel may contain lead so discard old tinsel if you are not sure of it’s composition. Fire salts contain heavy metals, which if swallowed may cause serious gastrointestinal problems and vomiting.

Candles

Avoid wax. Check your candles frequently to make sure they do not burn down too far or drip hot wax. Make sure candles are placed in sturdy, non-combustible holders away from decorations and other combustible materials.

Clean and trim candlewicks. Cut them down to 1/8 inch to ¼ inch before lighting. Long or crooked wicks cause uneven burning and dripping. Candles should be placed at least three inches apart so they do not melt onto one another. Keep candles free of wick trimmings, matches or any flammable material that might ignite.

 

Although disasters are never planned, they happen when you least expect them to. If your home or business faces a disaster this holiday season, don’t forget that we’re available 24/7, even on holidays! Give us a call at 1-800-349-4357 or check us out online at www.GuaranteeRestoration.com

Kristen Schmitz